Friday, February 29, 2008

Getting Closer

We had an excellent visit to Sloan Kettering yesterday and now have a clear understanding of the next two months. I get admitted on March 10th into a sterile room on the transplant floor (I will literally not leave this room until I'm discharged roughly May 1st). Visitors are allowed but limited as infection is the primary killer of transplant patients during the transplant. I get chemo and radiation for 10 days (this is the hard part, and how they destroy my immune system) and then get the transplant (donated, partially matched, cord blood from a non-relative) on the 20th. For the next month I try not to get sick (because I have no ability to create my immune system) as I wait for the transplant to take effect. Once the transplanted cells starts working, my body will create my immune system. When the immune system is strong enough (hopefully by May 1st), I will be discharged.

If all goes well, then I will be an almost daily out-patient for about two or three months, Liza and the kids move up to be with me during this time, and we have fun days exploring the upper east side and beyond!

One last note: a few college friends picked us up at Penn Station and drove us up to Sloan Kettering. Four hours later one of the guys picked us up at Sloan and delivered us back to the train station. They made the trip excellent. They made NYC feel like a small town with family. It felt great. Thanks to those guys and all you others who make us feel so welcome and blessed wherever we are.

-------------
David Holder
(202) 270-3174

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is when the love wave really starts. You aint seen noth'n yet!

Send more pictures!!

desshess@comcast.net

Love you -- Sal

Unknown said...

It is great to hear that your visit to Sloan went well. When you are ready to start exploring NYC, our family will be sure to go up there and show you our favorite spots.

Anne Legge said...

Can you get mail? We would love to send cards and pictures of the kids. Post your address if you are aloud to receive at Sloan.
Best of luck!
Annie Balser Legge

Unknown said...

Dave, best of luck. You da man, and an inspiration to us all.

Best, J Frey

Andrew Slocum said...

Great news...your courage is heroic...now we just need Cornell bball to secure the Ivy title and we will be all set for March Madness to begin! Lax at UNC this Saturday....hope they play with as much tenacity as you always exhibit...oh yea...you didnt win the "Charlie Hustle" award for nothing....this cancer character picked the wrong dude to mess with for sure! Keep it up Dave...we are so proud of you, your family, your faith....Plow On!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm picturing you Liza and the kids trolling around NYC looking totally hip and celebrity like. And I love it! How awesome to have wonderful friends there, too - you've got the East Coast covered - hands down.

We will miss you TERRIBLY down here so make sure you post lots of updates and send us lots of pictures.

Big apple, here you come!

We're counting down til May 1st ish. PLOW ON so we can throw that big party!

XO
CMF

Unknown said...

Dave,
I'm sure you have no shortage of NYC resources, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call.
-Gary N 917 459 1535

Anonymous said...

Dave--So happy to hear all of your good progress. It was fantastic to see you at Shabbat Sing today. Thanks so much for your hug and your smile. We are all rooting for you and sending all of our love, Beth, Maddy, Dan and Ruby

Dana Little Jackson said...

I'm a big fan of this plan. I love that you're in the very best hands. Meanwhile, we'll do our best to take care of the rest of your family- promise!! And, once y'all are on the other side, and hanging out in NY, I foresee a girls weekend in NY complete with a Broadway show. You're gonna do great!!! Dana

Anonymous said...

New York ain't seen nothing yet. The Holders in NYC. I picture a whole new reality show.

You remain an inspiration. So summering in NYC isn't the beach, but I promise to bring you sunrise, a good meal, a little sand, and a Middle East debate. :)

XOXOX,

Tammy

Anonymous said...

The Big Apple is getting ready for you! For those of you living in NYC, I am putting together a NY contact list for Liza so she can more easily access all of us. Please send your contact information to amanda_joy_vaughn@yahoo.com. Thanks!