Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Plowing Along

The doctors say I should expect some energy in ten days or so, which means I'll be laying low until early April. But then, however, I hope to feel my rusty brain and body coming back a little. Accordingly, Liza and I are outfitting the room in preparation. Mike's bringing up my guitar on Thursday and the dart board should be hung by then. Between darts, guitar, my gorgeous wife looking after me, and the magical morphine pump, I should be doing just fine.

While time is precious, I'm happy to rush through the next month or two, and if all goes as planned we may just be able to pull it off.

I'm not much of a documentarian, but last night I had a blood blister in my mouth that was doubling in size every couple hours. By midnight it was the size of a golf ball and it was hanging outside of my mouth. It was so alien that I took a photo of it. Now that it's popped, although still bleeding, that photo is comical. I want all side effects to be so comical.

-------------
David Holder
(202) 270-3174

8 comments:

Tom Binford said...

Hi Dave!
Hey there-it's your former Spanish teacher at Friends School, El Senor Binford. I just wanted you to know that another friend is HOLD-ing you in the light and praying for your recovery. Hang tough and know that we are with you in spirit!

Abrazos,
TBinford

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that your guitar is on the way, and that you'll be filling the halls with music soon.

We will get out our guitar and play some songs for you in DC!

Hugs,

Jenny, Kil, Miles & Cole

Shannon K said...

How Cool- Senor Binford! Dave, you certainly have a lot of fans. Keep up the great work!

xoxoxox SK

Anonymous said...

WOW! Cool! Do we get to SEE the blood blister photo?! (OK, perhaps I really AM the mother to three boys - suddenly this stuff is actually "cool" to me!) Yes, comical it will all be. No doubt about it. Please let us know what else we can do to make your room homey. Can I send you an exercise ball? Seriously, let me know what will help!

Love to you and Liza!

XO
CMF

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know you played guitar. Looking forward to the Sloan Kettering Album. Get jammin!

Love you to you and Liza,

Tammy

Anonymous said...

David,
Your words help me understand the pain that my daughter has. Although she is only 3, she hates having cancer too. She uses simple words to explain her aches and pains, not always knowing what it means when she says her "tummy hurts" or "my port hurts". Well, her port did hurt last month when chemo was going in and only now do we completely understand the pain. The line in the port is not correctly dumping into the heart. It has shifted in her body. Total bummer. We will meet with the oncology docs, surgeons and radiololgists tomorrow to find a course of action for this amazingly forgiving child. Keep the words coming, it helps me more than you could ever know.
Love and prayers from Colorado.
Ann Reidy

Unknown said...

Dear David, As a documentarian, I must disagree that you are not a documentarian. Your blog is a documentary in words - achieving the very thing that all docs aspire to achieve: Truth, humor, insight. Your words give us an understanding of a situation that we do not know. Your strength in the face of adversity inspires us. Your humor helps us to laugh through tears. Your documentary inspires others to be creative and contribute - not only to your blog but to our own lives as well. Your documentary is beautiful. I am so grateful you are writing it. Love, Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Dave,

Just found out about your current visit to the hospital when I went to nuke some food in your office...

Thoughts and prayers are with you...keep up the good fight.

Andy