Friday, February 22, 2008

Chemo Fest

It's been fun here at Hopkins getting chemo. We've had a few visitors, lunch, and laughs.

One aspect of everyday chemo life is nausea. Throwing up just happens, everyone, anywhere, anytime. Those patients/nurses/caregivers that can best manage nausea are the super stars. One aspect of my nausea that I like, is that when it comes, it comes big. The nurses bring over a cute cup-like plastic container, maybe providing the volume for a banana, to which I essentially laugh. I would rather puke in my hands. She then finds and brings the monster bucket, more like a tub for washing babies, the daddy of nausea containers. So I feel somewhat at the top of the nausea container ladder, which leads me to believe I hurl bigger and faster than others. I'll take honors wherever I can get em.

-------------
David Holder
(202) 270-3174

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was a conversation my boys were having about 15 years ago. We've known you are bigger and better than most!!! Its amazing that you can find humor in vomiting! Way to go David.

Love,
-Linda

Anonymous said...

Well I certainly hope that's one memory you don't (or do??) forget...

Bring it on!

Sal

Unknown said...

Deal! I will remind you of things. Thank you for letting me/us know. And you call tell me things more than once too. You have to do that sometimes anyway. : )(especially when it's something i don't want to hear or something that takes a few days to process) Love to you from Chicago, where Adam is getting ready to attend his rehearsal dinner. I am ironing Corey's shirt. Corey and I are dropping the dog to doggie day care. Wishing deeply that you and Liza and kids were here. Know we are all thinking of you. Keep up your strength and determination. You will beat this. Love, EAH

Robin and Elaine said...

TMI !

Anonymous said...

OBVIOUSLY, my dad was just kidding on that last comment!
I personally enjoy hearing all the details :)
See you guys tomorrow.
Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Daddy - That was really gross....you can't come over to my house and play if you talk like that!!
Love you,
Eli and Reedie

Anonymous said...

Nothing like keeping it real, dude!

FWIW, Gussy puked like a champ the other night - all over his little stuffed doggie. (Yeah, that was a fun 2 am clean-up!) I'm not sure who deserves more kudos - you, for taking it like a champ and finding humor in it, or the AMAZING folks who are caring for you (and that includes Liza!). What a monster team effort!

Keep thinking BIG thoughts like this! We're with you all the way, big guy.

XO
CMF

Anonymous said...

Kind of reminds me of my college days...
Jenny G

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard from you for a while and did not know about your relapse. I'm sorry to hear you are doing this again, but I'm glad to see that you have found new ways to maintain your competitive spirit! Tell them you are ready to move up to the barf "barrel"! Hang in there....

-Bill Cary, HFN