Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Chemo and Jerseys

I get admitted for the third ICE chemo treatment today.  If all goes as planned, then I'll be discharged Friday. This should be the last ICE treatment.

As for Jerseys, I was recently honored with a Cornell Men's Basketball Jersey signed by all the players, and a Cornell Men's Lacrosse Jersey #28 (my number back in the day) signed by all the players. As evidenced by their reaching out to me, the coaches of these teams are showing their respective players, young men, how to be good men. I was lucky enough to have a similar coach in college, and these jerseys remind me of the valuable life lessons that came out of my college playing days; along with reminding me of our crazy confidence, bold enthusiasm, and endless energy (a great memory right now). Slogging through endless hours in the weight room, countless practices, sometimes two a day, and participating in continuous non-lacrosse activities with the team, I thought I was becoming a better player. Maybe so, but for certain I was becoming a better person, absorbing those life lessons, including what it means to make a commitment, and why active community involvment is so valuable.

So thank you to the thoughtful and generous Cornell coaches and players for the jerseys, for the inspiring reminders, and for the lessons themselves.

-------------
David Holder
(202) 270-3174

7 comments:

Leeann said...

That's wonderful!
What a great surprise and you're right, a great life lesson too.

Keep plowin' on, Dave!

Leeann and the fam

Anonymous said...

dave,
you still have plenty of crazy confidence and bold enthusiasum. thinking of you always, hang tight for the last round. big hug to you all.

seema & vinny

Anonymous said...

YOU CERTAINLY ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US. LOVE, AUNT ELLEN AND UNCLE BILL

SCD said...

Dave,
Thanks you for your kinds words and your tremendous inspiration to our program. We will continue to root you on during this last treatment!


Steve Donahue
Head Coach
Cornell University
Mens Basketball

Dana Little Jackson said...

Go Bears! (Admittedly, this Oklahoma Sooners fan had to look that up!) I loved reading your reflections on this wonderful gesture. I'll be thinking about y'all all week! love, Dana

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are doing OK and will get out of Hopkins tomorrow. Thinking of you and your family,
Meredith

Andrew Slocum said...

Great news on support from Cornell Athletics. In case you didn't know, Big Red hoops is 6-0 Ivy after decisive back to back wins at home against Princeton and Penn this weekend. March Madness here we come! Havn't seen this kind of excitement in Newman Arena since Meakem.