Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Love and Joy

Liza and I are sitting in my hospital bed, I'm hooked up to two tubes pumping chemo into me and all I can do is watch my phone as I wait for Eli to call after dinner. If he doesn't call, then it didn't occur to him b/c he's having too much fun and that's terrific. If he does call, then I guarantee my conversation with him will make my day. My friend Alex calls Eli from time-to-time and pretends to be Batman. Alex is calling tonight, so Eli's rehash of that phone call will likely be hilarious.

By way of example, the last time Eli was speaking with Batman, Eli asked, "are you Jewish?" Yes, for those wondering.

Last night when I was tucking Eli into bed he said, "whenever I need you, I'll just call for you, right?".
"Right" I said.
Then he continued, "And whenever you need me, you just call for me and I'll come help." He's my boy. Love and joy.

13 comments:

Leeann said...

Eli makes my heart sing. Children really are our leaders and teachers.

Stay strong,
Leeann

Anonymous said...

Hugs and kisses to you both tonight. Wishing you a peaceful night and a sunny morning.

Hang tough...stay strong

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Dear David,
We're here in Tucson, wishing you well and sending love and best wishes.

Grandpa Leo and Ann

Dana Little Jackson said...

Sweet and funny. Love this post. Thinking of y'all. Dana

Anonymous said...

that is pure love and joy. (and sweetness, too.)

thinking of you guys!

Anonymous said...

Big...Little...those Eli's ROCK! See you soon -- Sal

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I hope Eli called or didn't call but I hope Batman did. You are both amazing. I send good vibes and hope you both had a restful night.

Big hugs,
Seema

Annie Campbell said...

Just so you know, Spider-Man comes from an interfaith household.
And if Eli ever wants to speak with Wonder Woman, he should look no further than his mom...

Anonymous said...

Love it. This made me smile so big. I can hear Batman and Eli now! Sending love and all good vibes.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Batman is Jewish.

Bill Clinton is most likely a Brother.

Excellent lessons in diversity as we celebrate MLK.

- Marullus

PS: GO DAVE!!

Anonymous said...

You are SUPERMAN, my friend. Ditto on Dana. Love this post, too. Kids say the darndest things! Thinking of you ...

XO
CMF

Anonymous said...

David, you write so beautifully! I had a little cancer scare this summer, and it changed the way I think about life at 34. Your optimism and strength brings hope to ordinary days. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you old 'friend.' You have a remarkable spirit and family, too. Khalil Gibran once said, "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest of souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Hang in there, Dave...
~Brooke Bognanni '91

Anonymous said...

I think Eli is onto something- maybe Batman is short for Shabbatman!!!

-TY